Code Word: Classroom Management Strategy

Are you an elementary classroom teacher that is tired of your kids moving and getting supplies when you are giving directions? Check out this simple, easy to implement classroom management strategy!

Hey, Friends!

I am here sharing a quick tip for you + a freebie! 🙂
Do you just GO NUTS (be honest) when you are giving directions about an interactive notebook and the kids start taking out supplies? Or how about when you are explaining how to do something, and they immediately start moving when you are taking?!

DRIVES ME BONKERS!

I hang up this sign:

Each day I rotate through the students and they can pick the secret code of the day.

When it is time to give directions I say something along the lines of, “LISTEN! A Code word will follow!”

I read on my {Instagram Account} that a teacher uses this idea but chooses academic vocabulary as her code word—which I think is BRILLIANT!

Do you want to use this for your own classroom?
Click {HERE} or the image below!

Also, don’t forget to pin this image so you can always access this freebie!

Amber

You Might Also Like

Previous Story
Next Story

7 Comment

1. Reply
    Lovely Nina
    May 12, 2016 at 10:17 am

Awesome idea, I'm sure your students love it!

2. Reply
    Recipe for Teaching
    May 16, 2016 at 2:08 am

I love this idea and I printed it after your shared it on Instagram!! My students LOVE it and it's such a great way to change up our classroom management for the end of the year!!! Thank you for sharing such a great idea!
    ~Heather 🙂

3. Reply
    Amy
    July 11, 2016 at 6:53 pm

So cool! I think I’ll combine this with another method I use… I ask a curriculum-related question and the answer becomes our code word. For example, I’ll say, “When you hear the name of our state capital, go!” Then I’ll say one or two words that are frequently but mistakenly named in our classroom as our state capital, before I actually say the right one.

4. Reply
    Mel
    July 15, 2016 at 7:57 pm

I absolutely adore this and what makes it even better is that it matches my colors!
    M

5. Reply
    Belinda McGaha
    August 4, 2016 at 2:55 am

I’ve used a code word, but never had such a cute poster to write it on!! Thanks for the freebie!!!

6. Reply
    Sherry Duarte
    August 14, 2016 at 7:28 pm

When I taught primary grades, I used a similar strategy, “Magic Word”. I had to say the magic word following the directions before students could begin. They love helping me select an academic word, or a seasonal word. Now that I’m moving up to 4th grade the “secret code word’ is going to be perfect. Thanks for the printable too.

7. Reply
    Yari
    August 25, 2016 at 12:58 am

I started doing this with my kiddos this year and they absolutely LOVE IT! The great thing about it is that they really pay attention to me while I am giving directions because they just can’t wait to hear the code word. haha Genius idea!