Digital Restroom Passes

Need a classroom management idea to help prevent too many restroom breaks? Check out this QR Codes that scans to keep documentation of restroom breaks. A great way to integrate technology in the classroom!

First let me go ahead and ask, did the picture of the toilets gross you out or cause you to double take at the blog post? 🙂

I couldn’t write about student and their many restroom breaks without using a restroom pic! #BathroomHumorLikeMyKids

I am pretty easy going when it comes to bathroom breaks. As long as it’s not a whole group lesson, I say yes and they just walk out the door. They don’t even have the take a pass!

THE MONSTROSITY! Call it easy going, or just call me lazy for not wanting to constantly send kids back for the restroom pass #TheStruggleIsReal

The middle of this past school year, I finally woke up from my coma and realized that I had this one friend that would ALWAYS ASK TO GO TO THE BATHROOM!!!!

NOBODY NEEDS TO GO TO THE BATHROOM EVERY 3 MINUTES!
NOBODY I TELL YA!
Well, this kid begs to differ.
I came to the conclusion that I needed a way to document just how much this kid was going to the restroom. That way I had data to back up his behavior. Oh yes, my school is data driven. I’m sure you’re school isn’t because why would schools make us take the extra step to collect data? 😉
Hence the digital restroom pass was formed.Have you read my NO HOMEWORK DOCUMENTATION?
Oh you haven’t?
{CLICK HERE}
Google “Google Form”. If you have a Gmail, then you already have an account.
Click ‘Forms’
Title the form whatever you prefer, I titled mine, ‘Restroom Pass’
Write your first question.
I chose the type of question as ‘text’ so they can type in their name.
Click ‘add item’ to add another question.
I like to ask what subject we’re in. This way, if a child is ALWAYS going to the bathroom during writing time (true story), then I have documentation that there may be some avoidance behaviors.
If you like, you can change the confirmation page.
This is what will show up after the student submits their response.
If you would like to make your form pretty, click “change theme” at the top of the page.
Scroll and click any theme to the right of the page.
I chose to switch to a digital restroom pass because I really like that a google form time stamps when a students goes to the restroom. I don’t have to worry about a sign out form, and there is documentation for when a child leaves the room.
Listen to how this saved me:
This past school year, I had a troublesome little friend. He frequently displayed inappropriate bathroom behavior. One day, I had a teacher from another grade level come to me in the afternoon saying that a boy in her class was trying to use the restroom, but a little boy in my class was having inappropriate bathroom behavior. The boy said that he knew knew the kid was in my class but not sure exactly which boy. Well, all I had to do was click “view responses” on the Google Form and found the time stamp that was the same time they were in the bathroom. When the boy in my class saw that I had hard evidence, he admitted!
WOAH!
I really like having a trail to cover my end, which is why a digital restroom pass works wonders for my room.
Once I created the form, I pasted the URL of the form into a QR generator and pasted in on a sign like the one below.
To snag this template, click the image below 🙂
I hope this was a Peppy Zesty idea for your classroom!
How do you manage bathroom breaks? I would love to hear the different ways teachers manage them!
Want more ideas to digitize your classroom?
Follow my digital learning interest board!
Want to read how I take this idea & implement it towards homework documentation?
{CLICK HERE}

Amber

You Might Also Like

Previous Story
Next Story

32 Comment

Ashley Reed
    February 13, 2016 at 11:16 pm

What a cool concept. Love this. Thanks for this informative post! 🙂

Veronica
      July 25, 2016 at 11:23 am

Great idea! For those looking to help kids with no internet. I just purchased a FIRE for $33 from Amazon during their sale days. Keep an eye out. I also have a reward system (I teach middle school, so I only have them for 44 minutes a day) they get three “passes” for the rest room and two “homework passes” to use for the semester. The homework passes allow them to turn homework in a day late with no penalty, because life does happen, sometimes they just can’t get to it. Here is where it gets good. First, they are responsible for this paper. If they lose it they are out of luck. I hole punch it and they put it in their binder to start. If they do NOT use ANY of the coupons, at the end of the semester they get a homemade cupcake. You would be amazed at the amount of students that ask to use the restroom and when I say, “sure, give me your paper to sign off on” they tell me “nevermind, I can wait” much of the bathroom stuff is to meet friends or text…. Of course there are those who really have to go and they do leave. I like your tracker as a way to make sure they are not gone too long. I am going to add it to my bathroom rules. If you wonder “does it really work?” My first semester students turned back to me 98 papers out of 118. Yes, I did a lot of baking one night – but it was worth it for the other 89 days….

2. Reply
    Jenn MG
    March 1, 2016 at 3:22 pm

Hey so I thought this would be a great idea to document my high school students comings and goings (especially with a sign in/sign out) but they have to log in before the form can get to me? Is there any way I can circumvent that? We are not a google school and not all kids have google accounts.

Kathy Scheffer
      March 29, 2016 at 2:40 am

Jenn- I am NOT very familiar with google forms, but I think possibly you may be able to go up to settings (the little gear icon) & fix the "Who can respond?" to "anyone". I hope that works b/c I agree, I don't want my 3rd graders to log in-takes too long! Good luck!

3. Reply
    Kathy Scheffer
    March 29, 2016 at 2:37 am

Amber this is such a great idea! I've always used a paper sign out where the students have to not only log there name, but time out & time in…as we usually have one or two incidents in the bathrooms where the students are goofing around and having the time helps call those students into question. I love though how google will time stamp it for them, since at the beginning of the year some of my third graders still are having trouble telling time! :0 I really appreciate you sharing this idea! I am trying it out tomorrow & hope it goes well!

4. Reply
    Lyndsey Gresehover
    April 8, 2016 at 7:11 pm

This is amazing! I can't wait to start this. But my question is, what do you do if they don't have something to scan the bar code w/ (no cell phone, etc.)?

Lit with Lyns

5. Reply
    Garima
    April 11, 2016 at 11:37 am

nice

6. Reply
    Hannah Houser
    May 13, 2016 at 12:09 am

Hi Amber,
    I LOVE your "No Homework Documentation" and "Restroom Pass" QR signs! Your blog was very easy to follow to make the forms! I was wondering if you could change the wording on the Homework QR sign. I want them to match with your adorable writing. Could you make is say, "Scan the QR code if you forgot to bring your homework today!"? My co-worker and I are stoked to get this in the classroom!
    Thanks,

7. Reply
    Unknown
    May 19, 2016 at 8:01 pm

I like the idea but what do you have them scan it with if they do not have a smart phone with them?

8. Reply
    Melissa Funke
    May 19, 2016 at 8:02 pm

9. Reply
    Anonymous
    May 20, 2016 at 6:24 am

I love this idea! I teach 8th grade and I want to use something like this for next year, but I'm worried that my students will use someone else's name (a lot of them are very mischievous), Any suggestions?

Unknown
      May 22, 2016 at 2:43 am

I'm thinking about this for my 8th grade classroom as well, and was thinking I might change it to three responses: name, student ID, and homework date as shown. I also looked up the ways to circumvent student snot having phones/ QR readers and I saw something for the PC to download. I think I will leave the sign posted near my turn-in bins for students with the app, and then leave a P.C. on and open to the google doc form next to it as well. No excuses right? Fingers crossed this works!

10. Reply
    Rachel Weidenhammer
    June 12, 2016 at 11:25 pm

I love this idea…but how do you document their signing back in? I find that is the data I really need…the length of time spent out of the room!

Amber Calderon
      June 14, 2016 at 11:28 pm

Hello, Rachel!
      Every teacher is different! Why don’t you just create another question that asks the student what time they come back on a separate QR code? You could also possible have a timer next to the QR code. The kids could press the button, them press it back when they return, THEN scan the QR code and just put the time in and elapsed time. Get creative! You go this! 😉

2. Reply
      Keri T.
      June 15, 2016 at 2:21 am

Hi Rachel!
      I wanted to be able to do the same thing! I added one more multiple choice questions: Arrival or Departure. That way I can have both entries using the same form. (https://goo.gl/b7GrvY) Then when I pull up the spread sheet I will have the time that they left and the time that they came back 🙂 Hope that helps!

11. Reply
    Laurie
    June 18, 2016 at 12:33 am

Great idea! What so you so if they don’t have a phone to scan?

Amber Calderon
      July 7, 2016 at 9:34 pm

I don’t use a phone. I use iPads.
      Why don’t you use an old iPhone (as long as you can connect to the wifi) and use it as the sign out device! It could even have a fun customized case on it! 😉

2. Reply
      Ashley Money
      July 28, 2016 at 10:33 pm

Laurie, I LOVE THIS! I am new with using google forms and classroom this year. Could you tell me how you created this?!

Amber Calderon
        July 29, 2016 at 4:23 pm

I created it in PowerPoint then inserted the QR code image into the file! Thanks!

12. Reply
    Johnna West
    June 22, 2016 at 12:12 am

Any idea why when someone does a sign out I get 2 entries instead of 1? I can overlook the duplicate, but I wasn’t sure if you knew of an easy fix with Google Forms which I’m still really new with.

Amber Calderon
      July 7, 2016 at 9:31 pm

I am not sure why that is. I would check your setting on the form! 🙂

13. Reply
    Holly
    July 4, 2016 at 4:56 pm

I would love to use this, but I have to ask: Do students have access to wifi in your building? My high schoolers would never want to use their phone data for this…they are always hesitant to do anything which requires their data use.

Amber Calderon
      July 7, 2016 at 9:40 pm

I teach elementary so we have wifi available for our devices.
      Why don’t you use an old phone and connect to the school’s wifi (if possible). It can be the designated sign out device! This is just an idea 🙂

14. Reply
    Robert Seals
    July 14, 2016 at 4:03 pm

How long does it take to sign out? Seems time consuming.

Amber Calderon
      July 14, 2016 at 9:32 pm

Hey!
      It takes less than 10 seconds! Are you familiar with Google docs? Its super simple and quick!! So quick my 8 year olds have mastered it in a timely manner! 😉

15. Reply
    Erika
    July 22, 2016 at 8:34 pm

Hey Amber,
    I am very new to using google docs. I found out how to make a form, now how do I make a QR code attach to my google docs form?

Amber Calderon
      July 29, 2016 at 4:25 pm

You paste the link to the Google form into the free download that I made!
      Thanks!

16. Reply
    Amber Calderon
    July 29, 2016 at 4:27 pm

Has anyone in your school made a QR code before? Here is the website I use, thanks!

17. Reply
    Dianne
    August 4, 2016 at 12:30 am

Which QR generator do you use? There were so many when I googled the phrase.
    Love this idea.

Amber Calderon
      August 4, 2016 at 10:34 pm

Any will work! I use QRStuff.com!

18. Reply
    Karen
    August 30, 2016 at 11:54 pm

I really love this idea and plan to use it in my classroom this year. However, I am having the same problem as Johnna West. Each entry is posted twice. I created a new form. I’ve adjusted settings. However, nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

19. Reply
    Kayla
    November 9, 2016 at 4:18 pm

Hi Amber, I love this idea! I am currently a sophomore studying Elementary Ed. and I am obsessed with QR codes! This is such fun and quick way to keep track of what students are coming in and out of the room and it has the exact time! It also gets rid of the bathroom passes that are full of germs! Perfect. Do you also have another QR code and Google form to keep track of when the students returned? If you don’t, what do you do in your classroom for when the students return?
    Love this blog! So cute and helpful.
    Thanks,